Sunday, July 22, 2007

till Tuesday


Things are off to a slow start this week, since I just rolled back into town from the west coast of Canada: and the jet lag is killing me...however, there's a couple of highlights coming up that need to be seen so I'll just mention a few of them before I doze off again.

First the Quartier d'ete festival is on (www.quartierdete.com) which means free concerts in unlikely little parcs and spaces all around the city. And these are not just local semi amateurs playing for their own neighbourhood. These are some really fine french jazzers gigging. Check out their site and schedule for concerts all over Paris....what could be better than a chance to check out a new neighbourhood, great music, a chance to picnic with a bottle of wine (or two) and some food surrounded by the cheerful and likeminded...

and for the Clubs -

on Monday the 23 at the New Morning (see club listings) the World Saxaphone Quartet will be continuing to develop their tradition of avant garde free jazz

on the two nights after, also at New Morning, their friend Roy Hargrove will be playing with his quintet. Hargrove received the Best Instrumental Jazz album award for his collaboration with Herbie Hancock on the the album Directions in Music

I might also drop into the monday night jam session at the Baiser Sale....its fun, its free and its a place to see some new talent and get up and make some music - what could be better!

ok...that's enough for now: I'll fill it up more next week when I can keep my eyes open for more than 10 minutes at a time...

No comments: